On the 21st of May a wonderful celebration was held in Blackrock Hospice, Dublin for Venerable Mary Aikenhead and the Bicentenary of the Religious Sisters of Charity. The celebration also commemorated the foundation of Our Lady’s Hospice in Harold’s Cross, which was founded by the Religious Sisters of Charity in 1879.
Blackrock Hospice was opened in June 2003 as an affiliate of Our Lady’s Hospice.
Bishop Eamon Walsh celebrated Mass. In his Homily he commended the Ministries and service provided by the Sisters and acknowledged the continuation by the dedicated staff and volunteers in Blackrock Hospice. The first reading was read by Reverend Jillian Wharton (Church of Ireland Rector of Booterstown Parish) who is a great support in providing pastoral care to her parishioners when admitted to Blackrock Hospice. Rev. Jillian also facilitates the Memorial Services held in the hospice every 3-4 months. Music was provided by the Frascatti Choir accompanied by soloist Sarah Lucy and organist Sr Mary Threadgold. The Mass was followed by a buffet lunch and light entertainment.
The celebration was a great success and was thoroughly enjoyed by all in attendance, staff, volunteers and Sisters alike, as seen in the pictures below.